The summer sun can cause a negative effect on your hair. The high humidity content in the atmosphere settles on your hair, weighing it down and resulting in limp hair. Sweat and dust contributed by the summer conditions also increase hair problems like dandruff, split ends, frizziness and increased hair fall. The summer heat can be harsh on your scalp too, causing dryness and sunburn.
With summer approaching, we’ve got some of the best tips to keep your hair in the tip top condition. If you follow these tips then your hair will stay healthy through the summer months –
• Deep Conditioning – As the hot air and direct sunlight reaches your hair, it can cause the hair to dry and go brittle and weak. Using a shampoo and conditioner at least twice a week will help keep the moisture in your hair.
• Trim your hair as often as possible - The recommended amount of time you're meant to wait between getting your hair cut is somewhere between 10-12 weeks, depending on your hair type, tone, length and thickness. However, when it comes to the summer months you will need to change this to a cut every 2 months. This is because in the summer you are more prone to split ends, so getting your hair cut every 6-8 weeks allows you to be able to cut your chances of brittle hair breakages and eliminates the worry of split ends.
• Avoid Wax’s and Gel’s - When you add product to your hair on a hot day you're just adding chemicals that will not only dry your hair but they will add more layers to your hair working like insulation. On those hot days try to use product as sparingly as possible for amazing results.
• Hair needs to be washed more often - The best way to maintain a nourished scalp is simply by washing, shampooing and conditioning a little more through the summer period. Giving your hair that little boost of moisture can go a long way into helping you maintain a healthy and flake free scalp.
• Cover the hair - If the sun is particularly harsh, or if your hair is particularly vulnerable, there’s no shame in using a scarf or hat to shield the hair, it can help keep your hair healthy.
• Avoid Heat - The sun is already putting too much heat on your hair, so avoid the additional heat as much as you can.