With Halloween just around the corner, it’s time to start planning our costumes. No matter what you decide to be for Halloween this year, the perfect hairstyle is the detail that can take your costume to the next level.
Still weighing your costume options? We’ve got you covered. Keep reading for our favourite Halloween hairstyles to help inspire you!
5 Costume-Ready Halloween Hairstyles
A short curly bob (or a faux bob if you have long hair) is a must for a flapper Halloween costume. If your hair is naturally curly, first blow it out to start with a smooth canvas. If you have long hair or thick hair, divide the hair into two sections at ear level. Braid and pin the bottom section of the hair at the nape of the neck to hide it. Then follow these directions:
- Apply a light mist of hairspray and brush through hair.
- Create a one-inch section above the forehead and curl with a small-barrel curling wand.
- As you remove the curling wand from the hair, catch the curl in your hand and pin to your head to allow it to cool. This will help to maintain the curls, since you will be brushing them out later.
- Repeat with the remaining sections of hair, being careful to use the same size section and curl in the same direction (uniformity is key to this look!).
- Let hair cool for 20 minutes, then remove pins.
- Brush out curls with a comb. If you have long hair, tease the bottom of the hair and pin to the braids in the back to create a faux bob. Then add a sparkly headband to complete the look!
2. Spooky Vampire
Create a faux widow’s peak using Toppik Hair Building Fibers! To achieve this look:
- Spray hair with a heat protectant, then use a curling wand to style hair into loose, glamorous waves.
- Using the Toppik Spray Applicator tool, spritz Hair Building Fibers into the hairline to create a widow’s peak. You can create a stencil with a piece of paper to help guide you.
- Finish with FiberHold Spray to give the Fibers even more staying power. Add vampire fangs and a little fake blood to finish this costume!
3. Bride of Frankenstein
This classic dramatic look is a real show stopper! The trick to achieving this look is to use Hair Building Fibers as a costume hair colour. Here’s how to do this Halloween hairstyle at home:
- Create a section of hair at the crown, secure in a ponytail, then pin a mesh hair donut into place.
- Curl or crimp the remaining hair to add texture.
- Working in small sections, tease hair and pin to the top of the hair donut, leaving an inch-wide section of hair between the temple and the ears. These will be our “highlights”.
- Using the Toppik Spray Applicator, spray Hair Building Fibers in Black over all of the teased hair.
- Spray Hair Building Fibers in White to lighten the remaining two sections.
- Pin the white sections into the teased hair. Use pins to create an S-shaped curl.
- Finish with FiberHold Spray for extra staying power and voila! A spooky Halloween hairstyle that’s sure to impress your friends.
4. Ethereal Mermaid
This hairstyle works best for long-haired ladies, but you can also add a few clip-in extensions to get mermaid-length hair for the evening.
- Apply Toppik Hair Fattener Advanced Thickening Serum to damp hair, then blow dry for extra volume.
- Using a small-barreled curling wand, style hair into ringlets and then comb through with your fingers to loosen the curls.
- For extra impact, you can spray temporary hair colour or use hair chalk to add streaks of blue, silver and pastel purple to your mermaid locks. Then add Halloween hair accessories like shells or glitter to complete the deep sea look.
5. Sleek Ballerina
A ballerina is our favourite last-minute Halloween costume because this style works best on hair that’s not freshly washed. Here’s how to do this easy Halloween hairstyle:
- Comb hair into a high ponytail and secure with a hair tie.
- Separate ponytail into two sections, twist around hair tie, and secure with bobby pins.
- Use a hair gel or anti-frizz serum to smooth any flyaways. Pair this hairstyle with a leotard and tutu and you’ll be ready to pirouette to your Halloween party!